Ways to Establish Trust with a New or Frightened Bird
- Use a gentle touch and a soothing voice.
- Move slowly and steadily when you handle the bird.
- Avoid startling the bird. Announce yourself by talking quietly as you come into a room or when approaching the bird's cage.
- Remain mindful of the bird's likely reactions to new objects and situations.
- Remember that the noise level in your home and sounds you and your family consider normal might startle your new companion. These sounds include appliances, people, and other household pets.
- Be patient.
- Open your heart and communicate through love.
Reference: "Holistic Care For Birds" by David McCluggage, DVM & Pamela Leis Higdon